Today both of my children are down and out with pretty nasty colds... which means heading to church was probably not the best idea as Greg is out of town this week. On Sabbath days such as these, I feel a great loss at having missed the opportunity to partake of the Sacrament, the weekly fellowship of branch members, and the spiritual feast of Sunday school and Young Women classes. So to try to get myself in the zone, I came across a talk that my father and mother-in-law pointed me to during their visit last week. As I read it again this morning, I was brought to tears by it's prophetic message and the reality of the issues today-- nearly 18 years after it's address. (My thoughts are perhaps a continuation of my recent post, "How do we know TRUTH?".) Elder Packer speaks very frankly to the Coordinating Council about being aware of which way they face. He quotes a statement Harold B. Lee made to him shortly after Elder Packer was appointed supervisor over the Seminaries and Institutes of Religion:
"You must decide now which way you face," he said. "Either you represent the teachers and students and champion their causes or you represent the Brethren who appointed you. You need to decide now which way you face." then he added, "some of your predecessors faced the wrong way." It took some hard and painful lessons before I understood his counsel. In time, I did understand, and my resolve to face the right way became irreversible."
Since this past General Conference, I have thought a great deal about the messages given and the stirring certain topics created among members of the church. I have felt a great comfort in having received a witness of the truthfulness of all of the words of our beloved prophet and his dear apostles. I do not question- not because I am a blind sheep looking for anything to cling to- but because I know and have received a witness for myself that those words were true. I also know that Boyd K. Packer was sincere in his statement of resolve to face the right way in his talk 18 years ago and that he has continued to do so ever since.
"Surely you have been anxiously watching the worldwide evaporation of values and standards from politics, government, society, entertainment, schools. Could you be serving in the Church without having turned to those pages in the revelations and to those statements of the prophets that speak of the last days? Could you, in working for the Church, not be conscious of or have ignored the warnings? Could you be blind to the drift that is taking place? Are you not conscious of the drift that is taking place in the Church? Could you believe other than it is critical that all of us work together and set aside personal interests and all face the same way?
It is so easy to be turned about without realizing that it has happened to us. There are three areas where members of the Church, influenced by social and political unrest, are being caught up and led away. I chose these three because they have made major invasions into the membership of the Church. In each, the temptation is for us to turn about and face the wrong way, and it is hard to resist, for doing it seems so reasonable and right."
His three areas where members of the Church are being caught up and led away are The Gay/Lesbian Challenge, the Feminist Movement, and the Scholars (or Intellectual Elite). 18 years ago these issues were starting to rise, and now it seems they have affected the Church more than ever. He states that the amount of letters the Church had received from afflicted members regarding these issues had grown substantially and that these people sought for comfort & understanding of the Church in their stance on the issue.
When members are hurting, it is so easy to convince ourselves that we are justified, even duty bound, to use the influence of our appointment or our calling to somehow represent them. We then become their advocates -- sympathize with their complaints against the Church, and perhaps even soften the commandments to comfort them. Unwittingly we may turn about and face the wrong way. Then the channels of revelation are reversed. Let me say that again. Then the channels of revelation are reversed. In our efforts to comfort them, we lose our bearings and leave that segment of the line to which we are assigned unprotected. The question is not whether they need help and comfort. That goes without saying. The question is "How?" The Prophet Joseph Smith, when he organized the Relief Society said, "There is the need for decisions of character aside from sympathy."
This message given to these leaders can easily be applied to the rest of us. Many of us hold callings where we influence and serve others in our wards/ branches or influence others in our communities. Do we face toward those who wish to make known their agendas in order to show our "tolerance", or do we face toward the brethren of the Church and the words & revelations from the scriptures... and above all, the words of our Father in Heaven and His beloved Son? And in saying that, do we study diligently and seek for confirmation from the Holy Ghost regarding these words so as to know our stance when we face such issues? I have a testimony that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that He has a deep love for all of us. We are expected to show this kind of love to ALL of our brethren and sisters on this earth. I also testify that His commandments cannot be adapted to fit our desires. I know that Elder Packer's words were prophetic and hope that each of us will choose to face the way that leads us back into the arms of our Father in Heaven and our Savior. I certainly hope that I have many years left before my day of judgment, as I have a great distance to go, but as long as I'm looking in the right direction hopefully my baby steps forward will add up enough to lead me back to my heavenly home. How much easier it would be for me if all of us were facing the same way. ;)
Please take the time to read it yourself:
http://www.lds-mormon.com/face.shtml
6 comments:
You are amazing--I could feel the spirit so strongly as I read and re-read your post..thank you for sharing this!
Maleia, you have such a wonderful way with words! You are able to state and testify in beautiful way and a way that I can relate to. Thank you for always sharing your testimony and for giving me things to think about and to want to improve upon. I surely want to face the right way!
Thanks Maleia for the inspiration that you give me. I am going to take this to heart. I am glad that we are serving together. I am grateful that you will alway be there to help me when I need someone there to keep me on the straight and narrow.
That talk is a personal favorite. I have not read it in some years, how prophetic his words are even a couple years later. It is hard to watch the polarization of the Saints, but necessary. I hope and pray every day that my actions, intent, and heart stand in the right direction. Thank you for your testimony and reminder.
So well written, Maleia. I don't have much to add to it, except that I agree totally with everything you wrote about. Satan is working overtime to make right look wrong and wrong look right. Thank the heavens for a prophet and revelation!
Thank you for sharing! Because of my calling, I see people in tough situations and sometimes it is because of choices they have made. I want to help them but the best way to help them is by teaching them to help themselves. And if we are chosing first to follow the Savior, then it is easier to then give up the things of the world that pull us down.
Post a Comment