This past weekend we were so excited to have family visit for the 2nd time in a month!!! My sister Chelsea and her husband, Mike, came for a few days to help us here on the ranch. When we lived in Nevada Chelsea used to come out on an average of every other weekend to play cowgirl and I've really missed that a great deal. It felt like old times to have them here and luckily.... we didn't fall short in entertainment for them. The previous post about my little rodeo took place while they were helping, as well as the great entertainment Greg provided with the rank cow. This one was one of the worst I've encountered in my years dealing with cattle. It's not uncommon for a cow who is in a lot of pain to be fairly ornery, but this one was down-right mad at the world and anyone who tried to come near her. Greg decided that penning her and trailering her through the load-out chute would be the most efficient, so as the had her fairly close to the entrance gate to the pens, he had me run ahead to open the gate. Getting off of my horse was not something I really was excited about doing at this point, as I knew I was much safer on his back, but I did the good thing and listened to my husband anyway. ;) She did not push into the pen, so Greg had to lead her in and let go of his rope. Knowing that as soon as he made a quick line for the exit past her that she would most likely try to come after him, I had to stand at the gate and try to close it after he exited.... but before the cow exited. Unfortunately, the gate was not an easy one... I had to wrap the big chain around and fasten for it to be secure. Before I could even get the chain around the gate, she came at me with full intention. I stood there with the gate closed regardless, as I planned that if she were to bust it open, I would just ride the gate. Fortunately for me, she lost her back feet right as soon as she hit the gate. I was able to get the chain fastened before she got back to her feet.
The next part of the story consisted of Greg continually baiting the cow to charge at him in order to lead her up to the chute. She managed to push of the panels to the ground with Greg on it, but luckily he didn't get pummeled too bad. The last baiting was right before the load-up and she charged right up and fell into the trailer. I wish so dearly I had had a video camera of the whole event... it was pretty western. All in all great entertainment for the guests!
 |
| We also saw this guy the first day they were here... |
|
 |
| All done with feeding |
 |
| Heading up to the top of the rim to show them the incredible view! |
 |
| This was the first time Chelsea had ridden my horse, Cheese. She loved him as I knew she would! |
 |
| This is the view I was talking about. The land above the rim rock on both sides and all of the valley are part of the ranch. |
 |
| The happy couple |
|
|
My sister is truly one of my very best friends. It pains me to have us separated by so many miles, so it is times like these recent days that I treasure dearly. So wonderful to share something I love so much with the people I love.
3 comments:
oh my nasty cow! I'm glad no one was hurt, too seriously! I am so happy you have family visiting you...and again next week! :) Miss you so much! I want to come and play cowgirl!
Phew! I probably would've crapped my panties. Glad everyone is still kickin. Love that your family is close enough to visit more often. When are you going to get me that order? Turkey day is not so far away.
Wowzers - I would've paid to see that entertainment! I'm glad that the injuries were minimal and that the cow was able to get into the truck!
Your pics are amazing and I LOVE the landscape! You are so blessed to live in such a beautiful area!
Glad you had a nice visit with your sister!!!
Post a Comment