
I'd like to introduce you to a new friend of mine. His name is Little Buck and he's just as flashy as a horse can be. I mounted him for the first time yesterday , and in contrast to the horses I ride that are started by Greg (I am evidently biased), he was not real soft in his face & body and not real sensitive to leg cues. Nevertheless, he still behaved like a gentleman as we headed out in a trot to make our first circle together to gather the outer members of the herd. We were all prepared for one cow to be difficult as she was in evident need of doctoring. We came upon her the day before during feeding and as I took over the driving of the truck to allow Greg to walk out to get a closer look at her, I all of the sudden saw Greg flash across the front of the vehicle in an outright run with the cow in close tow behind trying to make him her lunch. It's amazing how a cow can be so lame and sick, and then once you enter her circle of comfort, just comes alive with complete fury... evidence that she was truly in a great deal of pain. So knowing yesterday that this cow would be pretty hooky, Greg already had her roped and was trying to load her in the trailer when I came back to the rest of the group. Little Buck and I came up behind her to help coerce her into the trailer and she turned with her head down and came straight at us. She came right at Buck's chest and he wasn't having any more of that.... he jumped, turned, and decided to break in two....
Unfortunately, I blew through my stirrup during his first jump, so even though I felt I rode him well for the first few hops, his second big bog sent me pummeling to the ground. Perhaps I should have taken the advice given in this song....
At a hack stable or branding pen, any place you might find some bow-legged men
Ask any ol' hand, he's bound to say he's got the answer to the bronc ballet
If your pony breaks in two, there's certain things a fella needs to do
If you follow his advice right down to the letter, your buck-off average is bound to get better
Only problem is you can't find two in a thousand of 'em that will tell you the same thing
There are those who will tell you it's in your seat and the way a fella holds his feet
You gotta sit back a little and drop your heels... try it one time, son, see how it feels
Others say the thing to do is to jerk him sideways a time or two
Pull his head around to the left or to the right and break his momentum, he'll give up the fight
Oh yeah.... don't forget to stay loose!
Others say to rake some fur, get aggressive, use your spurs
Just jab them gut hooks into his side and bust him into a run, it's easier to ride
Probably won't go through a fence.... stay relaxed now, don't get tense
And if he happens to run you up underneath a tree remember decapitation's preferable to a buck-off
That could be embarrassing!
Don't worry pard', I bet they can sew that ear back on.
Some call it shameful to grab the horn, others say there is no scorn
For those of us that have to go to pullin leather, because stayin aboard is always better
Problem is it happens way too fast, ain't got a chance to grab your slack
Gives a grunt and leaves the ground and farts you off and drags you around
Hard to catch your breath when that happens
Thing is the guys who tell you this stuff, they kind of like it when things get rough
They say they don't want you to break your neck, but they do enjoy watchin' a good wreck
They've been bucked off themselves a time or two... ain't about to make it easier for you
And the secret they're keeping to themselves of course, the best way to handle a snorty horse....
Is to let some other idiot ride him!
If you see your stirrups slap together above the saddle horn, you're probably bucked off.....
Okay.... so the truth of the matter is that Little Buck really is a good horse, he just doesn't have the confidence of a great deal of miles behind him at this point. Right as soon as he finished bucking, he just stopped, turned around, and put his head down as he waited for me to come and grab him. His demeanor at that point was very telling that he didn't react that way out of pure nastiness.... I just put him in to a situation that was more than he wanted to handle. I didn't hesitate to jump back on him and go back to work. The rest of the day proceeded seamlessly and I think he and I will be good friends. I must say, however, that a little part of me wishes he'd do it again so that I can get a chance to redeem myself.....
3 comments:
Lady, I am so glad you didn't get hurt...or stepped on!! You are one tough cowgirl! Be careful!
Is that why he's named Little Buck? But I'm glad you're okay and that he really wasn't trying to be mean to you!
Is he a new horse for you guys or is he property of the ranch?
Highness: He's property of the ranch. Greg has been riding them all to get a feel for their personality and demeanor and has found quite a few holes in their training so far. Just working through the kinks! It will only get better as we spend more time with them!
...and the name wasn't intended to have that connotation. He has a mate, Big Buck, who IS named for that... but apparently this one decided he needed to fit the bill as well.
Post a Comment