This new area we live in sings to me like a forgotten song that has always resonated within my heart. It is a song that I began to hear when we lived in Nevada and became more clear to me when we moved away... because it's absence left a void within me that created a longing to return. Now we have returned to the high desert and I feel as though I have been led home. There are many who do not hear the song of the Great Basin, because many only see a barren land full of sagebrush and untamed country... and the song of one of my favorite singers, Dave Stamey, describes it well:
Wind blows the dust just like buckshot, and I ain't never seen it rain much out here.
Smell your own sweat in the evening, wash up at the galvanized tank
Nearest town's 40 miles, the cook here he don't smile, and all of these young horses are rank.
But come a "tai yai yippie yai oh" on the back of my caballo
I hope to tie one on when I can
My spurs they don't ring much, I never did sing much
But I'm sure enough.... a Buckaroo Man.
Cold fingers stiff in the morning... by noon, it's 103.
5 year old slicks in the canyon, and never a hint of a breeze
Jug-headed, hollow-backed ponies provide all with hours of grief
There's snakes in the shade and choya on the grade
and a half a ton of grit between my teeth.
But come a "tai yai yippie yai oh" on the back of my caballo
I hope to tie one on when I can
My spurs they don't ring much, I never did sing much
But I'm sure enough..... a Buckaroo Man.
But deep within this rugged exterior lies a a beauty that cannot be compared... a beautiful, rich heritage of Spanish influence and a land that breeds life that withstands opposition. This is a land that gets into your blood like an addictive drug and it's affect on a person cannot be forgotten. It's a land of big fancy loops, vaquero horsemanship, and a sense of pride in it's traditions. This place makes me strive to be a better horse(wo)man, roper, cattle(wo)man, homemaker, and- most importantly- a better wife & mother. I'm so happy to be home...
This past week, we had the great opportunity to have my little brother, Mason, and his girlfriend, Teri come to visit. I imagine we'll see a wedding date set here pretty soon, so it was a great opportunity to get to know Teri! I was so sad to see them go, as we don't get visitors very often, but was so grateful they could stay as long as they did. Here are a few pictures of their visit as well as the debut of the first homemade Halloween costumes I've ever done for the kids. I think they turned out pretty cute for my first time! Our little community has a Halloween party for the kids at the school and then loads them all up on a trailer and takes them around to the community ranches to trick-or-treat. They both came away with a complete haul... a filled pillow case!
Ho ho ho!
1 year ago

5 comments:
OH MY GOODNESS, all of those pictures are so amazing!!!! Is Greg riding Handi??? You are HOME and it is gorgeous!!! I'm so happy you took a vacation in Nebraska on your way home and helped me to find that song I used to know!!! Everything is gorgeous and the kids are super cute ghosts!!! Did you get some new pink fringe on your chinks? :) Miss you so much!!!
I'm calling you this week!!!
...and Greg looks very pretty in his blue and white scarf! :) I love the picture of the two of you riding away! So glad you found your camera!!
Your new ranch is beautiful! Glad you love it.
Your kids looked great in their costumes. Great job!
Goodness, your new territory is gorgeous! I know that feeling of finally finding your own chunk of home, it is amazing and so worth the wait. I love all your photos, they tell a worthwhile story. We miss you out here.
Oh my gosh, I am loving that you are keeping up your blog again!!!! I feel like I'm staying in touch with you. I love the pictures of your new place. It's so nice to visualize you all. IT'S GORGEOUS! We love you! Thanks.
Post a Comment