In the hands of one man contained some of the ashes of a dear friend who had become, with him, a part of our ranch family. This dear friend had come with him to the ranch all the way from California for the past several years to help us with much of our spring work. I did not personally know this man who had just passed away, but certainly felt a connection with him as I had heard his name spoken of often in love & friendship among others on the ranch. And his partner in crime was a man we loved a great deal. We had met him when we first arrived on the ranch last year and had spent the past few days riding & branding calves together with he & his daughter. It was the request of this departed man's family that part of him remain in one of the places he loved most, and it was his friend's duty to follow through. This friend was a wonderful, caring person and as we saw him become consumed by the moment as tears streamed down his cheeks in mourning for his dear departed friend, I could not help but be struck by the emotion being displayed by he and the others who knew him well. There were expressions of not only sadness, but disbelief and, even admittedly by one, some anger for such a good man being taken so quickly and so soon from this earth.
At that moment I looked down at my feet and continued to view the scene before me. Much of the area around us was included in the 40,000 acre fire that our ranch experienced last fall, the majority of which being below us on the canyon floor and up the other side. Such devastation was felt as we fought to keep the fire from destroying so much prime grazing country. However, despite the seemingly horrific affects of such an occurrence, I noticed something profound. Among the burnt brush stubble there stood evidence of nature's beautiful triumph in the form of newly sprouting grass. That grass, though seemingly destroyed last fall, had not only regenerated, but come back with greater strength as it was no longer inhibited by weeds or brush. This grass had won the victory over it's supposed destruction.
I believe with all of my heart that just like this grass, we all will be given victory over physical destruction... death. Though we must say goodbye to our loved ones for a time when their earthly probation is completed, it is anything but the end. And what a timely reminder it is as the occasion to reflect on that very key to this triumph approaches us here in a couple weeks... that key being the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
"For all of Christendom, for all of mankind, (Easter) is observed as the anniversary of the greatest miracle in human history. It is the miracle that encompasses all who have lived upon the earth, all who now live upon the earth, and all who will yet live upon the earth. Nothing done before or since has so affected mankind as the atonement wrought by Jesus of Nazareth, who died on Calvary’s cross, was buried in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea, and on the third day arose from the grave as the Living Son of the Living God—the Savior and Redeemer of the world.
As mortals we all must die. Death is as much a part of eternal life as is birth. Looked at through mortal eyes, without comprehension of the eternal plan of God, death is a bleak, final, and unrelenting experience described by Shakespeare as “the undiscover’d country, from whose bourn / No traveller returns” (Hamlet, act 3, scene 1, lines 79–80).
But our Eternal Father, whose children we are, made possible a far better thing through the sacrifice of His Only Begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. This had to be. Can anyone believe that the Great Creator would provide for life and growth and achievement only to snuff it all into oblivion in the process of death? Reason says no. Justice demands a better answer. The God of heaven has given one. The Lord Jesus Christ provided it.
His was the ultimate sacrifice, His the sublime victory."
--Gordon B. Hinckley
While the cross was a very pivotal part of the Atonement, as death is for each of us in our eternal progression, we focus rather on His victory over death, His resurrection. So it also is when a dear one departs from us. We certainly are saddened in saying goodbye for a time to those we love, but we know that death is only a stepping stone to our eternal progression and realization of all of the blessings the Lord has in store for his faithful children. We shall all conquer death, for not only spiritual death, but physical death was overcome for every child of our Heavenly Father through our Savior's Atonement.
So as I stood at the hilltop with the ranch family I had come to love so dearly, I found great inspiration in the chosen location and what it represented. I felt such a deep sense of gratitude to The One who made it all possible. I know that these beloved people will see their dear friend again. I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can dwell with our Father in Heaven again and choose to receive the fulness of the blessings He has in store for us. How grateful I am to have this time of year to be reminded of the greatest gift ever given and what it truly means for me.



3 comments:
What an amazing experience for you with your ranch family. Your writing is amazing and I felt as though I was standing next to you looking out into the beautiful country! Thank you my friend, for the wonderful writing and reflection of our Savior and His resurrection!!!
As always, beautifully expressed.
I hope your friends can find peace through the grief.
Thank you for the reminder of life's importance, especially during this Easter season. Life is so tender and quickly spent.
Post a Comment