Saturday, March 10, 2012

Here's To You, Tom.

With as unique a name for a male turkey as can be, Tom has been part of our family for about a year now.  He joined our place with about 14 others and was destined to be part of our large Thanksgiving harvest... with a turkey for dinner, a few to put in the freezer, and a few to give to those in need.  How excited Greg and I were!  The turkeys quickly grew and as the months passed..... the flock quickly seemed to deplete.  Between the dogs and the coyotes, we were left with only ONE by Fall.  It was pathetic.  Tom had proven to be the survivor of the fittest, and our little family couldn't help but take a liking to him as he had a very mellow disposition in spite of common stereotypes.  He would follow the kids around as we would do chores and allow them to pet and pester him to no end.  We came to enjoy his company as he became a fixture here on the ranch. 

As Thanksgiving approached, we knew the time was coming when we would finally harvest the fruits of our labors... only one turkey.  I knew in my mind that it was going to be hard to put out our only survivor... and coincidentally Greg was having the same reservations.  A couple days before Thanksgiving had come, and I pulled the frozen store bought turkey out of the freezer to thaw.  That was it... we couldn't do it.  At least not right now.  Perhaps for Christmas.

Christmas came and went, and every so often family & friends on the ranch would ask if Tom was still with us.  We would sheepishly inform them that he was still around, knowing that it would incite snickers from those that knew we had completely whimped out.  We make a living as livestock producers, dang it!  Greg has spent plenty of days of his life harvesting meat... it should not be hard!  Well... it was.

Over the past couple days, I have been plenty busy seeing to a husband and two kids who have all been hit with a nasty flu bug.  Greg has been nearly catatonic for over 24 hours, and just this evening was beginning to come out of it.  Of all the evenings to have what next transpired, this one was the least convenient for me.  As I went out to do the afternoon chores, I allowed the dogs out to run for a couple minutes.  I ran into the house to grab something, and as I came back out I noticed Tom on his back with his neck broken.  I had missed it by 10 or 15 seconds.  Apparently the dogs were sending me a very clear sign that it was time for Tom to be harvested.  Never have they even pestered him until tonight.

So there I was with no choice but to go to work.  Greg was still not well in his stomach and I knew he wouldn't be able to clean & butcher him tonight no matter how hard he tried.  If we were to save the meat from Tom, I was going to have to do it myself.  I quickly watched a You Tube video on the proper technique of cleaning and butchering a turkey, and went to it.  It felt like a complete hack-job for my first time, but I felt a great sense of pride when I was able to harvest over 30 lbs. of meat just from the breasts & legs.

I share this experience because as I labored in harvesting the meat from a bird I had grown such a connection to over the past year, I was surprised how I was overcome with such a sense of gratitude and joy that Tom was able to fulfill a purpose... a purpose that brought sustenance and increase to our little family.  Truly being so directly involved in the circle of life has a spiritual connection that I never would have anticipated before choosing to live this lifestyle.  With each new experience, I never cease to marvel at the glory of God's creations and finding such purpose & contentment in striving to be a good steward over those creatures put in my stead.  Hopefully as the years go by, the better I'll become at keeping more of them alive to full fruition, rather than providing plentiful meals for the dogs & coyotes. 

3 comments:

Jenni Call said...

Poor Tom! Glad he filled his purpose at last. Maybe he will help your family back to health with yummy turkey noodle soup.

Sycamore Girl said...

I can't believe I just cried while reading about a turkey.

What a lesson.

PS- Isn't youtube great?!

Her Royal Highness said...

Thank heavens for YouTube!
Rest in peace, Tom.
I can't WAIT to start our own little farm of chickies and gardening. You've inspired me more!!!