Monday, December 26, 2011

Utah Holiday Vacation

This month we took the opportunity to head out to Utah for our holiday vacation during mid-month, rather than actual Christmas.  We felt we should stay close here on the ranch for the holiday and the fact that the daughter of some good friends from Nebraska was getting married in Salt Lake was also pretty motivating (I was one of her Young Women's leaders while we were there).  Knowing that a few other Sidney friends would be attending, including Matt & Ali, the timing just seemed to work out well.

We began the vacation in Cache Valley, where unfortunately I neglected to take any pictures.... sorry guys!  The timing for this was pretty fortuitous as Greg's brother, Jeff, was in the states and staying with Mom & Dad to recover from shoulder surgery.  The kids were beyond themselves at the prospect of seeing many of their cousins and aunts & uncles.  I just never can get enough of Dani and her cousin, Eliza, and the things they talk about and create.  They are two peas in a pod and it brings back so many wonderful childhood memories of me having those kinds of experiences with my cousins.  Several of the evenings were spent playing games, eating delicious food, and enjoying the great company.  I feel so fortunate to have in-laws that I deem as wonderful as my biological family.  Jon & Geri are as much my parents as my mother and father, and I love the time spent with them not only in fun, but in times of discussing things of a spiritual nature.  I am always so edified and resolved to be better when we're together.

We then headed off to Kamas for a few days.  We left Dani & Matthew with Grandma & Grandpa while Greg & I headed to the wedding and Greg's family's cabin with our friends.  I always feel so privileged to be invited to a temple sealing, because it is such a great reminder to me of the promises I made on my special day to my eternal companion.  The sealing session ran behind about a half hour, and I just loved sitting in the sealing room in silence next to Greg as we waited for the couple to arrive.  So often, I feel sad to only be in there such a short time, so I felt lucky to be able to take it all in.  The sealing was beautiful, and I felt so much joy seeing this couple receive the blessings of being sealed for time & all eternity to one another.

Greg & Matt standing out of the wind as we waited for the bride and groom to come out of the temple

David & Nicole
The bride looked just beautiful! 

Amanda (Grace), Me, Nicole (Coley), Ali, and Elaine... so good to see these guys!

The wedding reception was beautiful and the meal was excellent.  To be able to see the Peters family, along with Bishop & Trissh Siler, and John & Jocelyn Haskell was icing on the cake to a great day.  After the wedding reception, we kidnapped Matt & Ali and headed to Greg's parents' cabin up Weber Canyon.  We were lucky enough to be able to drive all the way in as usually this time of year requires snow-shoeing or snowmobiling in.  We were all frozen as the night was bitter cold and the interior of the cabin reflected the same temperature.  The guys quickly went to making a fire, and after some time, we started to thaw.

 
This cabin is one that is very sentimental not only to Greg and his family, but to me as well.  It is the first place that Greg and I kissed, and it is the place where Greg proposed to me.  I always feel so at peace when I am there, so it was a treat to be able to share that with our dear friends.




I've always loved this old stove... I imagine it's worth quite a bit these days.

The weekend spent with Matt & Ali was a little piece of heaven for me.  Greg & Matt didn't skip a beat from the last time we'd seen each other as the dry sarcasm & humor flooded the surroundings.  And as for Ali, we also picked up where we left off.  That is what is so rewarding about a good friendship... you can go so long without seeing one another, and it does not hinder it.  I treasured each moment spent as we took walks and toured the surrounding area over the next couple days.   

We found this team of dogs resting just a couple miles above the cabin.  I couldn't get enough of the puppies-in-training!



Main St., Park City
 
The last evening of Matt & Ali's stay, we took them to my parents' pizza place to try for themselves some of the best pizza on earth (I might be a little biased... but not much).  We met another couple friend of theirs who just happened to live there in Kamas and found them to be extremely kind & fun people.  We invited them up to the cabin for the evening where the next several hours were spent playing games and laughing until our stomachs could not take it any longer.  It was a genuinely perfect ending to the weekend, where we knew the next morning we would have to say goodbye again for who knows how long.  I wasn't going to think about it.

The goodbyes were as hard as they were the first time... and I did pretty well at holding back the tears.  It's not often you find a friend like Ali!  I was happy Ali insisted on some group pics before heading out.




Thank you for a wonderful weekend you guys!  Let's pray it's not another 15 months before the next get-together!

We then headed to Kamas for the last couple days of the trip.  My mom asked me to sing in sacrament meeting that morning, so I wasn't able to rest much. ;)  Truly, I am always so honored for the opportunity to sing because I truly love doing it.  And to be able to sing "O' Divine Redeemer"... the prayer of every human soul, is something I'll never pass upon.  

That evening my family got together to celebrate Christmas.  I was able to meet for the first time my sweet little first biological niece, Amelia Jane Littledike!

Could she possibly have any more hair???
It is so fun to see Mike & Brit as parents.  There is just something inside you that changes... there instantly becomes so much more meaning to life and our purpose here on Earth.  It's no wonder father and motherhood are such divine callings.  Certainly Mike & Brit have felt that same change, because it emanates from both of them.

Over the last couple days, I couldn't help but take a few more pictures.  Overall a great vacation!





 

 

4 comments:

The Haley Family said...

It was SO wonderful to spend so much uninterrupted time together! You are so special and I cherish our dear friendship! I did NOT do so well holding back the tears. I love you so much and I love that our husbands are two peas in a pod!! We will see each other again SOON!

Jenni Call said...

Heaven! Sounds like you enjoyed an amazing and much needed vacation. We sure miss you!

Jenni Call said...

So very glad you and Greg enjoyed an amazing vacation. Sounds like you all had some good laughs and cries. We miss you out here!

jAmiE Hubbard said...

I love the pictures and the blog! What a wonderful trip/vacation. I can't believe how big your cute kids are! Thanks for blogging!s