Sunday, September 19, 2010

Last Hoorah of the Summer

Once we finally got moved out of the place in Sidney and relocated it all to Oregon, we headed on the road for two weeks to take a much needed family vacation.  Greg and I were trying to think of the last time we had done that.... and it was before Dani was born.  We started the trip from back in NE, where we had some things still to take care of, and headed north to South Dakota.  It's somewhere we always intended to go while we lived there, but never took the time.... so we knew that if we didn't do it before we left, it probably would never happen.  After having been there, I feel SO fortunate to have done it... the Black Hills of South Dakota is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen.  The thing that was so striking to me was the amount of prairie grass that grows in that area.  Prairie grass surrounded with tall pines, streams & rivers, and some of the most beautiful natural rock formations I've ever seen.  It's no wonder that so many years ago, a man thought to carve iconic faces upon it's landscape.  The way it has been developed is also so impressive.  We decided to take the back entrance through Custer National Park.  We would wind for miles on these pig tail turned roads and through narrow tunnels.  As you drive out of the tunnel, the trees are taken down in a huge strip that reveals the view of Mt. Rushmore.... miles away.  Each tunnel reveals this view.  I absolutely loved it.  The view of the park was great, too.  We of course enjoyed the view of the buffalo herds, but one of the funnest parts (surprisingly enough for anyone who knows how many jokes Greg cracks about these creatures) was interacting with the "wild" burros.  They were so trained to walk right up to the cars that they seemed right at home to just introduce themselves and ask to be fed.  We were so fortunate to have the Haley family with us on this section of the vacation, otherwise I would have hardly any pictures.  Thank you Ali!





This guy was about 10 feet from the road.  We had to shoot a picture before he got mad and decided to charge the van (I've watched too many "When Animals Attack" videos).




Dani and Ella COULD NOT resist the temptation to play dress-up in the western store.  The kids' section was way too enticing....  Funny girls.
   
This was about as good as the group picture was going to get.  I think the kids were more than done with pictures at this point (Greg too) :).

I love this picture taken right below the mountain.... with George Washington at the top.

The rest of the vacation was filled with new places to see (for me anyway):  Sheridan, WY and Cody, WY.  What great places with a rich history.  We had such a great time "touring" the local tack and western shops, where Greg managed to find much buckaroo gear that seemed would "meet his needs".  It was truly a treat to be in such beautiful areas.  We then continued to Yellowstone Nat'l Park, where we drove through our first snow storm of the season and watched Old Faithful from the deck of the nearest lodge through the storm.  The last part of the vacation was spent with family... which was so dearly needed for me.  I have become a bit numb to living so far apart from them... I think a feeling that has just helped me to cope with the great distance, but being with them revived my soul and once again reminded me of how much I miss being with all of them.  I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful family! 

More than anything, this vacation was a continued testament to me of the wonder of God's creations and the divinity of the family unit.  When everything else is taken away.... the hustle and bustle of life, it is so enriching to the soul to be with the ones who mean the most in areas such as these.  I guess that is why Greg and I chose the professional path that we have taken over these past years.  We have felt the influence of our Heavenly Father when we've tried to keep the world's chaos at a distance by living in a remote area and earning our living as stewards over his creatures.  It has taught me lessons that I perhaps would not have learned otherwise.  So many people in this world cannot deal to be left by themselves to hear nothing but their own thoughts... living this life has helped me to treasure those times, because they are the times when I seem to find answers to much needed questions and prayers.  I feel so truly blessed....   

2 comments:

The Haley Family said...

I was a great weekend with you at Rushmore! I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to spend a few "last days" with you guys! Ella and Dani were two of the cutest girls ever!

So happy you had such a wonderful vacation and ended it with your families!

You ARE truely blessed, my friend!

Titus Fam said...

Maleia! I love that you're BLOGGING! YAY! I get to see what you're up to. This trip sounds AWESOME. I'm jealous. So fun the Haleys could go. We love you.