So often in our lives, pivotal experiences take place that help us to understand how fragile our mortal existence truly is. It seems on a ranch, these things take place quite often, but once in a while a truly resounding reminder peaks our awareness. These truly are times when we realize how quickly a routine day can turn into an absolute nightmare.
Some weeks back I received a phone call from Greg. I knew it was not his usual just-called-to-say-hello phone call from the initial urgency in his voice. I knew all of the crew was branding that day, so I had a pretty educated assumption that a wreck had occurred. Greg quickly confirmed that not only one or two, but three people had been thrown from their horses during the branding. The first two guys were fine, but the third occurrence was one worth a great deal of attention. As I recall Greg's recounting of the event, I hope that my details are accurate. Nevertheless, it's an experience I want to document the best I can.
Ty was riding Ranza- his ranch colt that was just started last spring- and asked him to face his calf at the fire just as he had several times that year. As the rope was placed on the front feet and Ranza was asked to hold the calf, he started to get a little squirly. Ty put his spur in his side to cue him to straighten out, and Ranza chose to spin... and spin the worst way possible- into the dallied rope. Ty immediately went to pull his dallies off the horn, but the horse had spun so quickly that the dallies were locked. Ranza felt the rope come tight around his body and came completely apart. As Ranza was bucking, Ty managed to come loose enough from the ropes to try to dismount, but as he came off his foot was caught up in his stirrup. Ranza continued to buck as Ty tried fervently to keep afoot on one leg along Ranza's side as he bucked along with the rope around his legs. It was then that the rope came tight and Ranza fell to the ground.... right on top of Ty. Greg says that Ranza's full body weight was on top of Ty's pelvis and Ranza's rear legs were kicking at Ty's head. The other men were already in trying to get the rope cut as Greg ran in to keep the horse's legs from kicking him any more. As he jumped in, the horse got a nice square kick in right square at Greg's knee and then again at his already sore elbow. Greg says it was the longest minute of his life as he waited for the others to get the rope untangled enough for Ranza to get up while he held the horse's legs... all the while knowing Ty was in and out of consciousness with the weight of about 1000 pounds on his body. Ranza was freed and it was not too long afterward that the helicopter showed up to take Ty to Reno. As Greg recounted the story to me, at this point he said he was sure Ty was seriously and devastatingly injured. If there was internal bleeding, as one would imagine having taken place with that amount of trauma, Ty would only have so long. He feared a great deal for his friend as he saw him fly away.
Experiences like this are just a glaring reminder to me of how, even when you've done things a million times, there must always be an awareness of the magnitude of power a large animal has to make things bad in a quick hurry. Even with the greatest attention to detail in our profession, we are still at the mercy of that magnificent, powerful animal that carries us. We too often take for granted the days that go well and that end with us in one piece. As I heard the news of this branding experience, my children & I prayed for Ty's safety and recovery from this terrible accident. And knowing how his sweet wife must have felt as she watched all of this unfold before her eyes made me heartsick for her.
As anyone who saw what happened would say, the events that proceeded were nothing short of a miracle. Ty was found to have minimal injuries for the magnitude of his accident... only sprains to the ligaments of his pelvis. And as Greg went to the doctor yesterday to finally receive his answers, what he found out turned out to be a great teaching experience with our children. That morning on our way to school I shared with Danielle that her daddy was going to the doctor that day to find out if he was going to need surgery on his knee. Dani said without hesitation: "Mom, before I get out of the car, we need to say a prayer for Daddy, just like we did for Ty." She offered to say the prayer and my heart swelled with joy as I heard the faithful, heartfelt pleas of a 6-year-old girl to her Heavenly Father in behalf of her earthly father.
Later that day, Greg called not only to tell me the good news that was shared during his appointment- yes, he had cracked his patella, but was not going to need surgery- but the joy expressed by Dani that her prayers had been answered as he told her the news. I was so grateful to my Heavenly Father for answering her prayer and instilling one more seed of faith into my young, impressionable daughter. The blessings are so abundant, and I know it must be because of the undying faith of these precious children I have the honor of raising here on earth. Oh, if only Greg & I can help them continue in that path!
How grateful I am that no serious long-term consequences were had for that terrible branding accident. There is no doubt in my mind that the Lord preserved Ty's life, and kept everyone else around from greater harm. It is interesting to picture the day when as the Lord has promised to us that all things will be revealed, how many times He protected us from harm or spared our life. How grateful I am for His protection, mercy, and love.

No comments:
Post a Comment