Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Here We Go...

For the past several weeks I have been trying to ignore the inevitable.  The thoughts of my baby girl having grown up enough to now supposedly be ready to be away from me all day long have been thoughts I've tried to delay and ignore.  Over the past week, however, with school open-houses, attaining the busing schedule, shopping for school clothes & supplies, getting the last of the immunizations, and above all- trying to ingrain in her mind measures of safety & making good choices, I can no longer keep my head buried in the sand.  The first day of school has come...

 The above picture was Matthew's very apparent feelings of his sister leaving.  I'm sure he didn't really understand what was going on, but he knew whatever it was.... he did not like it!




This kiddo does not have it easy.  We must leave our house at 6:00 sharp to catch the bus at the end of our road at 6:25.  From there, she must endure over an hour bus ride into Winnemucca, where she then goes to school all day, 5 days a week.  She boards the bus just after 3:00 p.m. and does not get back to her stop until 4:40.  That is a HUGE day for a kindergartener!  Luckily, this girl is always ready to jump into new and exciting things with both feet and was ecstatic.  Raising independent children certainly has it's pros and cons... but I would take them that way any day.  So the first day went well.  Nothing but excitement from the new kindergartener, and only a tear or two from mom. 

6 comments:

The Haley Family said...

oh, miss Dani looks so grown up!!! That is a VERY long day for a kindergartner...or anyone for that matter! Can't wait to hear about it! Ella is next year, so crazy!

Her Royal Highness said...

Wowzers! Long day, indeed! I remember when B had to pull some long days like that - it was hard on all of us. But you've raised such a strong daughter - she's going to be great!

Cheri said...

Here I thought I had it bad because I have to wake up at 6 AM and leave our house at 7:15! I'll no longer complain. Riding the bus an hour each way isn't very fun. I had to do that until I got my license!

Lynna said...

So glad it went well. It's always nice to know you've done something right. Mine however threw one of the biggest fits ever!! Kicking and screaming and everything.!! Wow!!

Madison Grunig said...

Wow! I was all worried about Ty and having such a long day, and although it's a full day of kindergarten there's no super long bus rides to make the day even longer so I can't complain a bit. I think I would've shed a tear or two as well. And sweet little Matthew - what a doll to be not too happy over his sister being gone so much.

Sycamore Girl said...

oh man. homeschool?

Good thing you raise tough kids!