Monday, June 27, 2011

Praise To The Man



Today marks a very memorable day for those who share my faith. On this day 167 years ago, our beloved prophet, Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum were martyred in the Carthage Jail. Held in the jail under the presumption of safety, enemies of the church broke in and ended the life of these two men. Today, I wish to pay tribute to this man, not only for the ultimate sacrifice of his life, but for the great work he performed in restoring and building up the Kingdom of God in his relatively short time on earth.

Knowing that many who read my blog are not of my faith, I know that many are under the misconception that members of our church worship Joseph Smith. This is not so. We revere him dearly, because he was the instrument in which our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ restored the fullness of the true Gospel again to the earth. He was simply a man who was faithful and obedient to the things the Lord asked him to do. In spite of the persections and danger to he and his family, he remained steadfast because he knew and would never deny that he had seen God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. He would never deny having been visited by Peter, James, and John, who through him, restored the blessings of the priesthood to the earth. He would never deny having been visited by the Angel Moroni and led to the Hill Cumorah, where the golden plates had been hidden centuries before. He would never deny having felt the power of the Lord work through him as he used the Urim & Thumim to translate the characters on those plates into what we now know as The Book of Mormon.

When I read the section of scripture in the Book of Mormon where Joseph, the son of Lehi, is told of this latter-day prophet even down to his very name, I am always touched by imagining the weight of what Joseph Smith must have felt when he translated those words and realized that these ancient records mentioned him specifically.

In a world where evil is so often portended to be good and good portended to be evil, I know that many say we, as members of this church, are blinded by this man and the prophets who have followed. One thing is for certain. We each have the opportunity to seek for answers from God, just as Joseph did. I have read The Book of Mormon and have felt the witness of the Holy Ghost confirm to me that it's words are absolutely true. It is indeed another testament of Jesus Christ and will bring nothing but happiness to those who read & live by it's teachings. It is no surprise to me that the Adversary would work so dilligently to keep such things from those who seek answers by leading men to believe that it is an "evil" book. Any who read it with faith and pure intent and ask God whether it be true will come to find for themselves that it is so. A talk by Jeffrey R. Holland, an apostle of the Lord, describes my deepest feelings better than I could ever express. Please take the time to view it here and here.

My testimony of this book is also the reason for my testimony of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through Joseph Smith. I have felt the witness of the Holy Ghost tell me that these things are true. Iwish to invite all to take the challenge given in James 1:5

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Read the Book of Mormon for yourself, and ASK. This is the fruit of Joseph Smith's labors during his time here on earth. When you come to know the truthfulness, you will realize why this man is so important in the role of God's work here on earth in bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of men.  He is the reason for my knowledge of Jesus Christ and his plan for me.  A plan which enables me to be with my sweet family for eternity.  A plan which allows me more happiness and joy in this life than any other. 

5 comments:

Kathryn Skaggs said...

I love your testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith. He lived and died great. Thank you for sharing your heart felt feelings.

tDMg

Mormon Women: Who We Are said...

Beautiful testimony. Thank you. We'll be linking to it on our site, mormonwoman.org.

~Michelle
Editor

The Preece Family said...

I love it. Thanks Maleia. Joseph Smith is my hero and you captured my feelings completely and perfectly into words!

Great Basin Cowgirl said...

@ Anonymous: I very much welcome comments to my posts, but when I feel they would offend the majority of my readers, I will not approve their publication. To discuss our differences in beliefs is wonderful and very much welcomed, but in the future, I only ask that you please be repectful.

Her Royal Highness said...

Thank you, Maleia. I had been reading about Joseph's martyrdom a couple of days ago and had reflected on it throughout the day. My testimony follows yours (you just say it more eloquently than I ever could) and I am so thankful for his sacrifice and example.