When I woke up yesterday morning, I figured it would be a day that would proceed just like any other. Because a rancher's world so closely revolves around the weather, I habitually look out the window first-thing. This particular morning I marveled as a beautiful cloud blanket over our pivot field was beginning to be penetrated by the rising sun. It's beams shone through as a force that could not be restrained as it quickly seemed to slice away at the cloud's very existence. Greg was getting ready to head out the door as he had a great deal of work to do out on one of our BLM allotments. He gave the kids & I each a kiss and well-wishes for the day and drove away in the truck. I then turned back to look out the window to watch him drive away.
I found myself in a bit of a trance as I stared out the window when I was startled by the ringing of the phone...
A couple hours later I found myself sobbing uncontrollably as I sat out on the top stair of my porch and witnessed the tragic scene downhill from our house. A friend of mine, accompanied by her husband and a police officer were waiting by our shop as I saw our hired man come back from feeding the cows. I knew what they were about to tell him and I could not contain the pain in my heart for the way this man's life was about to change at hearing the news of the accident and his wife's sudden death. I saw his hesitancy as he wondered why they were there waiting for him and saw him shrink as the painful words were apparently spoken.
I imagined myself in the position of this man who's life had just changed that day. I imagined how I would react at hearing such news and knew that I would fall apart completely. I would wish to hide myself in a hole, for which I would never want to come out. Greg drove that same road that morning... who is to say it could not have been him or any one of our loved ones for that matter? To imagine going on and living my life without him seems to resemble trying to work in a body without limbs. It seems insurmountable and leaves life feeling pointless.
What can one possibly share to comfort a friend in such a heartbreaking situation? Through the remainder of the day, I thought of this statement:
"It was from him that I learned that the wife of my bosom might be secured to me for time and all eternity; and that the refined sympathies and affections which endeared us to each other emanated from the fountain of divine eternal love. It was from him that I learned that we might cultivate these affections, and grow and increase in the same to all eternity; while the result of our endless union would be an offspring as numerous as the stars of heaven, or the sands of the sea shore.
It was from him that I learned the true dignity and destiny of a son of God, clothed with an eternal priesthood, as the patriarch and sovereign of his countless offspring. It was from him that I learned that the highest dignity of womanhood was, to stand as a queen and priestess to her husband, and to reign for ever and ever as the queen mother of her numerous and still increasing offspring . . . I felt that God was my heavenly Father indeed; that Jesus was my brother, and that the wife of my bosom was an immortal, eternal companion; a kind ministering angel, given to me as a comfort, and a crown of glory for ever and ever. In short, I could now love with the spirit and with the understanding also.
Yet, at that time, my dearly beloved brother, Joseph Smith, had barely touched a single key; had merely lifted a corner of the veil and given me a single glance into eternity." -- Parley P. Pratt
Having been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints all of my life, these are precepts I have always been taught and have understood to one degree or another from a young age. My understanding and appreciation for this knowledge continues to grow as the strength of my union to my sweetheart becomes as Damascus Steel, being folded layer upon layer until it's finished product-once we have done all that our Father has commanded-is forged to be unbreakable.
We all know that the day will surely come when we must say goodbye to those we love here on this earth. Of all the people that have, do, and will continue to exist, how many of them have a complete knowledge of our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness... happiness not only in this world, but in the eternities to come? How many of us who have that knowledge and have taken part in those saving ordinances take it for granted? It is times like these that my testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ, is strengthened... knowing that he has provided a way not only for us to be with our families forever, but to become like Him. The greatest testimony of all that I have at this time is that He has provided a way for each and every being that has, does, or ever will set foot on this earth to hear and receive of these blessings. It is through us-those of us who have this knowledge-that this must come to pass. We should each feel as though we would shout this news from the rooftops so that all can hear. I am thankful that this man who lost his wife yesterday has this knowledge. What a special gift it is....a gift that is intended for all to receive! I have a testimony of this plan and know it to be as true as the rising and setting of the sun. Because of this testimony, I know that when the day comes that I must say goodbye to my sweetheart here on this earth, that I will see and be with him again for all eternity if I am faithful. This life- even though it is very significant in our eternal progression- is but a small moment compared to the blessings of eternity.
Ho ho ho!
1 year ago
3 comments:
I love reading your writing!! I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend's wife, how tragic! Wonderful testimony!
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of someone close to you. It makes you really think about why we are here and what is really important. Thanks for sharing so beautifuuly those words and reminding me of what I have been blessed to know my whole life, But sometimes take for granted. I have loved reading your blog and keeping in touch with what you are doing!
Your writing is beautiful! I put myself in your friend's shoes while reading it - I put myself in those shoes constantly, actually, knowing very well that it is a very real possibility. I hate those feelingsof loneliness and sadness. But your testimony says it all, and I rejoice in that - thank you for sharing it.
Post a Comment