As I sit here watching the beautiful flakes of winter dance upon the breeze as they decend from the sky above, I find myself longing a great deal to be at home. There is something so magical about storms like these, and they bring to life an innate need to grab your loved ones and seek for comfortable shelter as you await the storm's passing.
As is a common instinct amidst the storms of life to seek shelter, it seems that it is during the times of trial & heartache-- the spiritual & emotional storms-- that also cause our hearts to grab those who are dearest to us and seek refuge. As I have pondered over the recent events of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which took the lives of 20 children & 7 adults, I imagine the hopelessness of those poor families of the victims and how they must struggle so greatly right now to obtain peace & comfort amidst a storm of unimaginable magnitude...all the while wanting nothing more than to hold their loved ones again.
As I have taken time to assimilate over this past week, I have had several overriding thoughts. The first is that there are so many different beliefs in this world, and that of the LDS faith gives me great comfort regarding the status of these victims. A man who's writings I read often put it this way (post here):
"Those that understand LDS theology, understand that the children who died last week are secure in the arms of the Savior. They are not of an age where they are accountable in God's eyes. They are not capable of sin. They are "alive in Christ." (Moroni 8)
We can find great solace in knowing that those innocent children who were killed are saved - in every eternal sense of the word. I also imagine God will show a special kindness and mercy to those heroic teachers who fell while trying to save them. From a religious perspective, there is little tragedy for the victims, only eternal glory."
We can find great solace in knowing that those innocent children who were killed are saved - in every eternal sense of the word. I also imagine God will show a special kindness and mercy to those heroic teachers who fell while trying to save them. From a religious perspective, there is little tragedy for the victims, only eternal glory."
But what is to be for the rest of us, those of us who are left here on earth hurting & wanting after such tragedy? Wherein can WE find shelter? President Abraham Lincoln had this to say after the Civil War during his 2nd innagural address:
"With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan—to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves, and with all nations."
Only through goodness can men's hearts truly find peace. Of course, reacting with "malice towards none; with charity for all" is much easier said than done, as it implies an absolute charity for ALL, and to truly love everyone as Christ does. I have found myself struggling a bit with this principle, as I have become so sickened and disgusted with the push many in our government have taken to seize this moment and push anti-firearm agendas, as if it were truly the gun, and not the person that made this tragedy happen. Even more so, I have found myself wishing for the swift, terrible judgment of the Lord to come upon this man who caused these acts and caused for the parents & families of 27 innocent lives to be without their dear ones. The man who's writings I referenced earlier spoke of this very thing in his post... and it made me realize how terribly wrong I have been looking at it all along.
"A few years back, I had the sacred privilege of conducting and speaking at the funeral of a young man - about the same age as Adam Lanza - who took his own life. I learned a great deal from that experience, and thought you might find a couple of quotes insightful.
The Apostle M. Russell Ballard gave an enlightening talk on the subject of suicide that has tremendous application to this recent tragedy. (Suicide: Some Things We Know, and Some We Do Not. Read it!) He quotes Bruce R. McConkie:
'Persons subject to great stresses may lose control of themselves and become so mentally clouded to the point that they are no longer accountable for their acts. Such are not to be condemned for taking their own lives.'
Am I defending Adam Lanza? No. But neither will I condemn him.
Elder McConkie goes on to say, 'It should also be remembered that judgment is the Lord's; he knows the thought, intents, and abilities of men; and he in his infinite wisdom will make all things right in due course.'
Elder Ballard added, 'When he does judge us, I feel he will take all things into consideration: our genetic and chemical makeup, our mental state, our intellectual capacity, the teachings we have received, the teachings of our fathers, our health, and so on.'
Again, I am not defending or condemning. I simply don't know enough to do either. I can judge the actions: They were evil. They were horrific. And they will leave scars on the hearts of individuals and our very culture. Make no mistake - I condemn the acts.
Yet I do not know how "clouded" this young man's mind was - or what it was clouded with. Prescriptions, mental illness, addictions, evil? I have no idea. Neither do the people screaming 'Psycho.'
For someone to perform these horrific acts, his mental state could not be right. His mind was obviously clouded by something. From what I understand about him, his life was a struggle - not a violent struggle, but a struggle beyond what I comprehend.
Imagine with me for a moment: In his "clouded" state, this young man takes the lives of so many, and ultimately takes his own life, and awakens to find himself in the Prison part of the Spirit World - "Hell" if you will.
But when he gets there, the chemistry or genetics or whatever he was experienced within his mortal body that clouded his mind is suddenly...gone. He now has no body physical body - yet. He is awake, alive, and able to fully recognize and understand the horrible things he did as the final act of his young life. That is his hell. So many people are suffering. He is too. A clear recollection of all his guilt is his hell. To some that will provide a sense of satisfaction, and justice. To me, it is heartbreaking.
I do not presume to know how God will judge Adam Lanza, but I can't help but think that there will be more mercy than most of us would ever imagine.
Perhaps how we react to this very tragedy is part of our test.
Do we react with hate or mercy? Pick one - you can't have both.
Do we live our lives in fear, or with faith? Pick one - you can't have both."
So again, I reference Abraham Lincoln, "With malice toward none; with charity for all". Only One man who dwelled on this earth practiced those principles without blemish. It is He who we work to emulate as part of our mortal test. It is only He who can bear these burdens and heal our hearts:
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death,... that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." Alma 7:11-12
May each of us as we face our own storms of trial & tragedy seek the only true source of comfort & peace, even our Savior, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful that the Spirit of the Holy Ghost never ceases to wrestle with my soul, even during times when I am angry and need to lovingly be rebuked. I am so grateful that by His example and the records of His teachings I can learn to become more like Him and find solace as I lay my burdens at His feet. I am so grateful that this Christmas season gives me an even greater opportunity to reflect upon Him and what His birth, His death, and His resurrection allowed for me.


2 comments:
Maleia, You writing is always so beautiful. Truely a blessing for all who read. Your testimony of the grace of God and the love of our Savior speaks truth to my heart.
The moment I saw this picture of Christ and this darling little girl, I knew I had to have it. So last Friday I ordered it. Soon it will be hanging on the walls of our home.
In my own quest for serenity, peace, forgiveness and blessings of the atonement, I have grown to know that the Grace of God is for all of His children, not just for those that are "Saints".
My hope is that as we stive to de desciples of Christ we too can seek peace on earth and good will to men.
Love you sweet Maliea.
Thank you for this!
Wonderful linked articles.
Post a Comment